Re: [microsound] arranging & the like

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 09:08  PM, Tim Mortimer wrote:

> do you randomally process & manipulate audio indiscriminately, get a
> whole pool of audio fragments, & then arbitralily start stringing/
> knitting them together? or do you have more of a feel for the whole
> first & start colouring in between the lines as it were?

yes.

Lately, it's been more of the former as a lot of my favorite audio
tools are still primarily in Mac OS 9, and I spend very very little
time there any more.  So instead of really focusing on a composition
over a period of days/weeks/months, little bits of inspiration and
processing occur whenever they strike and often later they are culled
together into a new final composition.

There's usually a singular mood or overall idea present - even if the
final outcome comes a year later.

Money behind a commissioned work fell away late last year, which was OK
as it took the pressure of recording off me.  I didn't like the result
I kept arriving at.  A couple of months after the primary work ended, I
pulled a lot of the fragments from that time (from a couple of larger
unfinished works) together into an iTunes playlist just to hear what I
had around.  And, to my surprise, the fragments I had pulled in sounded
surprisingly well together.  After some re-arranging, I just used a
two-track editor instead of a multitrack to put them all together, ease
the transitions, and edit a couple of rough spots.

The result, 'conswala,buzzl' (UDD)
http://notype.com/rive/static/020/

In short; in this situation, I liked a lot of the smaller bits that I
had, but could never  get them to come together into the larger picture
I initially had at the time.  But the ultimate half-planned result came
out rather strong in my opinion.

But all results, processes, and output varies even within my own
projects.

J.Shell
Eucci & Co.
http://euc.cx/