. m u r m e r . definition (new release on absurd)

hello all,

just a bit of blatant self promotion for a new release.  hope all's well...

patrick

. m u r m e r .
d e f i n i t i o n
absurd #25
research center for the definition of happiness series (nowhere branch)

http://www.anet.gr/absurd
absurd@xxxxxxxxx
murmer@xxxxxxxxxx
oracle extended    21:17
spoke speak    16:37
liquid solid    21:08
ever since i first listened to definition i was astounded by patrick's
impressive soundscapes. whereas in his 2 previous cdrs (on bake & s'agita)
he also used primarily field recordings, this time soundscapes were clearer,
complex and slowly evolving, creating a haunting atmosphere. using various
source recordings, such as a freezer, a bicycle wheel (from which the 2nd of
the 3 tracks, spoke speak, is constructed), a water bottle, a synth loop and
various other household or found sounds, murmer creates a recording that
definitely will appeal to people who seek obscure ambient soundscapes in the
tradition of zoviet-france, maeror tri (especially myein), some of
beequeen's finest moments and so on. it is certainly a release not to be
missed! produced by research center for the definition of happiness' nowhere
branch, limited edition of 141

- absurd records
The three pieces on definition were recorded independently in the same year
as eyes like a fish (oracle extended before, the other two after).  Only
later did I decide to try to release them on one cd.  Each of these pieces
was created around one specific recording (simon f.'s loop, the bicycle
wheel, and my old freezer); other elements were added to serve them.  With
definition I decided to let the sounds truly take as much time as they
wanted, and to create fields without necessarily progressing linearly (it's
perhaps my theatre background that often leads me to a progressive
compositional style).  In this way I hoped the listener would become
familiar and comfortable with the details of the sounds; to be with them
long enough to surpass their first impressions and arrive at a fuller
experience of it.

- murmer
This is, I believe, Patrick McGinley's, a.k.a. .Murmer, third release (after
one on Bake and one on S'Agita). He's one of those blokes that always wears
headphones and has a microphone as a third arm: always hunting for sound.
The pieces on this CD include such sound sources as water bottle, bicycle
wheel, freezer, rain, fluorescent lighting, airplane landing gear, shop
alarm but also a synth loop, trumpet and feedback. When done with recording,
Murmer sticks his sounds on his analog four track machine, adds a bit of
distortion, reverb and/or delay, and that's it. Life is that simple. And
maybe it is. .Murmer's music is of course one of lengthy pieces, in which
sounds get to develop themselves. Rather then expanding just one sound like
so many others, .Murmer rather layers different sounds over each other to
make a nice atmospheric mix of sounds that seemingly have no relation to
each other, but that just work nice. In Spoke Speak he may use just the
sound
of the a bicycle wheel, he still go by with the same method of layering
sounds and then do a mix of it. The best piece on this release is Liquid
Solid, which uses the freezer, rain, fluorescent lighting, airplane landing
gear, shop alarm. A bubbling piece of dark sounds, lighter crackles and an
overall dark atmosphere. Here .Murmer can easily meet with the likes of
Mirror, Ora or Jonathan Coleclough.

- frans de waard, vital weekly 372