Re: [microsound] fan reaction to laptop

> i'd be very interested to hear others experiences in the reaction to
> other "laptop" performance. reactions to ones own sets, reactions to
> certain memorable shows... what made them more or less interesting /
> fun / meaningful / good...
>
> the context of the performance seems fairly critical as well as the
> venue, mode of presentation, level of integration with other modes
> (gestural/ visual), etc.

the subject line reminded me of one of the first laptop performances i ever
saw: jim o'rourke, in 1997 or 98, in a warehouse/gallery type space in
Chelsea, NYC. there was no stage, jim was set up at an ordinary table with
his G3.

halfway through his set, a young woman made her way through the audience to
jim's table, and began talking to him as he performed:

girl :  hey, when's the next band on?
jim : [distracted] .....uhhh, they're on right now
girl : [confused] really? who are they?
jim : ...it's me!
girl : [looks confused; walks away]