Re: [microsound] mutek 2003 .[2]: navigating noise & nausea

On 30/05/03 16:31, tobias c. van Veen said in living color:

> [...]
..
> slowly they walked out .. the relationship was evident: the one one the l=
eft
> played the keyboards with dramatic pause and aggressive execution--he was
> the master [perhaps even the Top .. if you know Coil .. ]; the other
> sequenced tracks in Live on a Powerbook, and he grooved a bit .. respondi=
ng
> with warmth to the darker and colder Coil, and his gaping eyes .. once th=
> hoods came off, we saw their age; both had shaved heads, although grey co=
uld
> be seen .. mohawks at age .. 50 ? .. impressive: hardcore and fucked unti=
> the end, Coil I think only communicated with those who knew their history=
 or
> who know something of the genesis of industrial music in the heyday of th=
> '70s performance-art scene .. in any case: Coil played the beginnings to =
> few tracks, although only once dropping an industrial broken beat, and
> refraining from any 4/4 (although at one point it seemed they were buildi=
ng
> to it), spending much time in their ambient excursions before tapping int=
> rhythms, playing three distinct tracks with pauses that melded into
> others... the tension generated by Coil was immense, and by the end the
> entirety of Metropolis was one way or another captivated. Detroit
> technoheads speak of "educating" the crowd: this was such a performance,
> with Coil demonstrating the direction of rhythm, the importance of
> repetition, the ways in which sounds need not be busy, but need be
> relational, to speak to each other. Later, the response was mixed .. thos=
> who knew Coil were blown away, picking up on the references, the gestures=
;
> those who knew nothing of Coil thought their performance irrelevant.
> Regardless of their relevancy today in terms of an innovative force, seei=
ng
> Coil, in all their weirdness, their dark industrial tinge, their refusal =
> accede to contemporary performance schemas, even, served as a historical
> reminder of a past that is perhaps even less-known and appreciated than
> Detroit techno: '70s industrial, the whole nexus of Throbbing Gristle,
> Genesis P-Orridge, Chris & Cosey, etc... right down through Skinny Puppy,
> Thrill Kill Kult, Front 242... the goth kids don't get it either, althoug=
> they are, to an extent, attempting to rebel in a teenage way that shows s=
ome
> hatred for society--in fact I was speaking to someone last night: what ca=
> kids do today to rebel? what counterculture is there that hasn't already
> been consigned to the trash? isn't 'counterculture' or 'subculture' or DI=
> even a cynical joke? is there hope?--where was I: yes, Coil, Coil, Coil.
> Time to go back and listen all over again. There is much to learn.

Just a few more words about Thursday's Metropolis show (BTW, nice reports,
tobias):

- A mini-rant on tickets logistics. This was my first Mutek 2003 show, even
though I was planning on going to both the Ex-Centris and Studio shows on
the opening night. Upon my arrival at Ex-Centris, I learn that the show
there (Kontakt der J=FCnglinge, etc.) is sold out. I inquire about the show a=
the Studio, but am informed that tickets to that are not sold at the
Ex-Centris. After a short walk down the street, I arrive at the Studio and
am greeted by closed doors. I also learn that the doors to the Studio won't
open till 10 PM!?! Not being in the mood to wait till that time and possibl=
find out that this night show is sold out too, I change my plans for the
night (with "The Matrix" -- not getting any better since the first one... -=
-
replacing Mutek).

Conclusion: tickets logistics are far from being ideal. At the very least,
it should be possible to buy tickets for all the shows presented on a given
evening/night from the starting time of the first show.

- Onto the topic of Coil: I thoroughly enjoyed their performance, despite
the absence of Mr. Balance. In an interview given by his colleague
Christopherson to publicize the Mutek show, a quote "explaining" the
founding member's absence was given: it was something like "I am in a dark
bath, in a clear spot" (I'm recalling from memory, here).

Anyway, the music heard on that night was still very much Coil-ish. I want
to underline the fact that the two participants had *very precise* control
of the sounds they were broadcasting to an audience that, incidentally,
seemed unsure of how to react to the proceedings (partly because it didn't
know what to expect). The spatialisation of the different sounds/layers was
absolutely fantastic -- crystal-clear and very well used. As tobias said,
the keyboard playing by Thighpaulsandra (especially when it took the form o=
short outbursts) added a dramatic note, injecting momentum in the hazy
washes of sound constituting the basic layer.  The music gave me the
impression of being "filled with space" (if you'll pardon the facile
paradox), of being airy, despite the fact that it was often quite busy with
numerous sound events colliding against each other.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think they opened with a more
"accessible" number, which used beats (?). Then, it got more abstract and i=
seemed to me that as time passed, they verged more and more towards
melancholia (melody anchored in D minor towards the end, etc.).

The visuals were OK, but mostly forgettable [at least, the frame rate was
good...], except for the last (or next to last) piece, which showed a slide
show of very cool B&W photographs. For each photograph, the camera would
zoom in or out and reveal an interesting element of the picture that was no=
immediately visible.
Does anybody know where these come from? I suppose it's from some stock
archive...?

> Next was Philip Quehenberger, who sang little shitty ditties over noise
> records. Kind of so-lame it was cool, but it wore thin. As Dj Fishead not=
ed,
> he played an entire set of noise that should have been cut for 30 seconds
> worth. The noise became boring and overdetermined. With so many excellent
> noise practitioners--and DJs.. Aleph Empire.. Fishead.. Doormouse--why
> Quehenberger?

Indeed. Why Quehenberger?

After the razor-sharp clarity of Coil's sound worlds, Quehenberger's set hi=
me as one big jumbled mess of sound. He used an inflexible rhythm track
(most of the time, it would remain exactly the same from beginning to end!
-- and it was also not particularly interesting) upon which he would heap
chunks of what I would qualify as "junk sound". Phew... How boring! And
before I receive threatening accusations of not being attuned to
peculiarities of noise (music), let me say that I do own and listen to a
bunch of noise records. But, as tobias said, the noise rapidly became borin=
(I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say "overdetermined", though),
nondescript.

> Finally .. yes near the end, was the "Iggy Pop" antics of T. Raumschmiere=
..
> Well, hardly Iggy Pop -- the rhetoric of the Mutek flyer being a little
> overzealous. I mean Iggy Pop ate chickens and shit. Live chickens. This
> tattooed guy just rolled around with his mouth open, stood on the table,
> jumped up and down, all to his post-retro-new-wave-industrial-techno that
> kicked some serious ass, Shitkatapult in tha house and all that, had us a=
ll
> bangin' and jumping around and waving, kicking out the booze, smokin' the
> spliffs, as Metropolis emptied into the night .. but please: the antics o=
> Felix Kubin and Nova Huta last year bested this dude hands down. Let's se=
> some real shit. I wanna see someone smash their Powerbook. Throw their No=
rd
> Modular into the audience. Fucking light, at least, a shitty MIDI control=
ler
> keyboard on fire, pick it to bits, put keys in your mouth, singe your tee=
th,
> sing with electricity, go into spasms .. that would be some Iggy Pop shit=
 ..
> lick a 96 degree processor and scream from the burns .. hell ..

Heh... Still, he rocked the house -- not anywhere near the level of, say,
Atom & friends @ Mutek 2002 (that reference is pretty unbeatable
anyway...)... but still... (as I've said)

To conclude: why, oh why do the shows have to start an hour after their
scheduled beginning time? The same thing happened at the Richie Hawtin &
friends show yesterday (Friday)... This is annoying.

I don't really have the time to comment on that night -- tobias will no
doubt indulge us with another of his fine reports. I'll just say that it wa=
a nice event -- DJ Magda did a really fine set and Senor Hawtin took risks
and tried things.

g.

--=20
Guillaume Grenier - grenier.g@xxxxxxxxxxxx

in space there is no north  in space there is no south
in space there is no east   in space there is no west