Re: [microsound] laptop audio interfaces?

Graham/Kerry wrote:

>  > i have an older mac G3 laptop available now for music use (the black one
>  > with the upside-down apple logo when opened)
>
>I've also have an "Wallstreet" and a 2408mkII setup.  I utilize
>a Magma 7 slot PCI expansion chasis.  It connects to the lap top
>via the CD-Rom drive slot. (which I'd be interested in selling
>the Magma)

how much for the Magma system?

>There is for sure at least one PC Card slot audio device out
>there (can't remember the name) but I believe it was a little
>quirky.

maybe the Layla thing I mentioned? I have an older PCI version of
this... which is why I ask about the Magma set-up.

>You might want to look into a Firewire or USB device and get
>PC Card adapters for your lappy. (So when you get a newer
>computer your hardware will still work).  But there may
>be issues with the FW/USB PC cards not performing well.
>A friend of mine was able to get the Roland USB - audio/mixer/
>midi controller device to work with the USB PC card on
>a Wallstreet lappy.
>
>THe problem is that most devices out there are not being
>designed for the older model mac's out there.

I have one of these laptops too ( i think ... the Bronze Keyboard
one?) and have successfully used a Tascam US428 in live
performance... MIDI controller 4 ins and stereo out puts etc. The G3
laptops come with native USB support so no quirks there... The one I
have did NOT have firewire however, and in my use of a Western
Digital cardbus firewire card... I DID find it a little quirky, for
DV capture and certain other FireWire devices etc.
--
CommTom
Communications of Tomorrow

unique electronic music for the adventurous ear.
http://www.commtom.com