jazz and race

I disagree with Kurt here on the race issue (re: jazz) .

Jazz is indeed thoroughly -rooted- in the experience of being black in
America. I think it is less and less these days and many scholars ( jazz and
otherwise ) would probably agree. However, jazz' Black American root does
not preclude anyone of any race/culture from listening/ experiencing/
playing it. I listen to a variety of music deeply rooted in many cultures
from my own...can I only truly embrace a musical culture if I am part of its
culture? Can I, as a white American male, not gain a worthy experience from
listening to Qawaali music? Nordic Metal? Bluegrass? Anthony Braxton?
Those all have traditional roots far from my culture but I see, and listen,
beyond that.

Laptop music, to me, should not be limited to the confines of "being White
and in Front Of A Computer" as much as jazz should not be limited to the
confines of being black in America.

I do agree that laptop "being the new folk" -is- a ridiculous pursuit  as
are all soundbitten marketing catch phrases.  This kind of culture tagging
is just another way to sell records.

Peter

np: rain, tonkatsu noodles on the stove, my daughter falling asleep