Re: [microsound] Classical music is booming, contrary to the pessimism of most inthe business

On 02/06/03 13:32, macrosound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx said in living color:

> Any particualar composers, pieces you might point me to in order to sway =
my
> opinion?

Well, the list I gave in my first reply is a good place to start...

But, for a composer actively working today, I would throw Wolfgang Rihm's
name. To me, he's one of the most important composers working today. His
works runs through various idioms, so if one piece of his doesn't appeal to
you, another might well do.

I have three (and a half) Rihm releases currently (planning on getting
more...). I think readers of this list would enjoy "=C9tude d'apr=E8s S=E9raphin"
(edition zkm/Wergo), a very dark, ominous piece which mixes an instrumental
ensemble (percussion, trombones, double-basses, etc.) and a tape.

In a completely different style, "Jagden und Formen" (Hunts and Forms; DG
20/21) is very, very good. This one is much more all over the place than
"S=E9raphin", which, aesthetically speaking, is pretty consistent from
beginning to end. It's a bit reminiscent of recent Boulez (e.g. R=E9pons)
maybe, with that prismatic treatment of harmony... and it's also the result
(stage) of a work-in-progress, like much of what Boulez does.

g.

--=20
Guillaume Grenier - grenier.g@xxxxxxxxxxxx

in space there is no north  in space there is no south
in space there is no east   in space there is no west