vst in general

I have noticed that the app Vst Wrapper [for use with MOTU Audio system (MAS)]
does not function very well in O.S. 9.1 or 9.2.
 http://www.audioease.com/Pages/wrapper/wrapperMain.html

Also I see Digital Performer is now supporting vst's in dp4. Haven't tried to
install any yet.  Anyone using them?  I'd like to experiment.  I've used some
vst's before. I use a G4.

I gather that vst development is a cottage industry pretty well established,  I
know that there are many other audio plug-in products (Waves, Pluggo, etc.). I
haven't used all of these but have demo'd some. I haven't been able to read an
article on this basic type of software app. - can't unless it is online.

I have a few questions, if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it

what are the major non cosmetic differences between different company plug in
formats (with the same platform)?

did vst originate with cubase? how is it that it moved to an open development
thing, if it did?

are the high end plugs truly amazingly better (Bomb Factory is one that runs
kind of high I think)?

Any favorites?  What is the best compressor, reverb, etc. for you?

What is the best way to chain the most vst's together, other than beefing up
the computer?

With OS X and XP both leaning towards Unix are more possibilities for cross
platform vst's coming?

Are the vst instruments working well when running simultaneously under
recording programs like DP, LOgic, ProTools etc.?

thanks for the information in advance!!
tim