Re: [microsound] vst in general

TDM-plugins runs on DSP-farms (PCI-cards each with nine fast=20
DSP-cpu:s). VST/RTAS/AU-plugs run as any software in your computer=20
sharing the same cpu as routines that draw on the screen etc. and the=20
differences in their internals are mostly due to differences in the=20
architecture of their original host-applications.

VST:s originated with cubase 3.x. the VST SDK is licensed by steinberg,=20=

it is not open but it is free. maybe there is an "open" sdk available=20
but I am not sure if the steinberg license allow you to use their info=20=

to develop such a thing. anything you distribute that is developed with=20=

the steinberg VST SDK must be registered with steinberg, many=20
developers of high-end plugs avoid the VST-market saying that there is=20=

too much piracy to be an economical alternative for them.

I dont use VST but in general the high-end stuff does sound better,=20
especially if you give it enough processing power. but this is a thorny=20=

subject that tend to make people angry defending their product choices=20=

by slagging everyone else so i'll stay out of the details ;=3D)

I mostly use the Sony Oxford plugs by their Oxford team in england. At=20=

least in their TDM-implementation they seem to do most things correctly=20=

and sound extremely good. Dont know if they produce any VST-versions.=20
Less expensive (and using a lot less processing power *and* with more=20
compromises) I also love the McDSP-series.

ProTools runs Re-Wire and their own formats (TDM, RTAS, AS). No=20
VST-support. But I *can* run Ableton Live via ReWire in sync and=20
straight into ProTools and Ableton Live support VST ... havent tried it=20=

though ;=3D))

/Jan L.