question/help re: questionable program/possible virus (ot)

(apologies for crossposting)

Dear listmembers:

I always scan attachments for viruses before I open
them and yet have just encountered a problem I can't
seem to solve.

A friend emailed me a document entitled
1stpressrelease.pdf.pif

When i downloaded it to my desktop, it showed up not as
a document, but as a shortcut with the MSDOS icon.
When I tried to open it up in the newest version of
Adobe Acrobat, it wouldn't work, so I threw it in the
recylce bin and then emptied the bin (and emailed my
friend who sent me the attachment).  I thought all was
well, but I've just found that there is now a program
in my startup called befy.exe; i have scanned this file
about ten times and my updated norton antivirus doesn't
say it is a virus, but there doesn't seem to be any way
I can delete this file; a properties query tells me
that it is an application.  I'm quite anxious because I
have gigs here in Halifax tomorrow and Friday nights
and then I leave for a mini-tour on Tuesday, so I
definitely want to get this application off my computer
and make sure everything is A-OK.  Any help would be
super appreciated. Thank you. Andrew Duke

out now: Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org
Take Nothing For Granted http://acidfake.tk
Sprung http://bip-hop.com
http://warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?
cat=BLEEP12&fc_type=CD
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized http://staalplaat.com
Highest Common Denominator http://pieheadrecords.com
Physical and Mental Health http://dialrecords.com
74'02 (split with Hypo) http://tsunami-addiction.com
Waveforms: Halifax Electronic Music Compilation
http://techno.ca/cognition