call for shinthers

to electros and deconstructos:

this is a call for participation in the "shinth tour"!!!
deadline September 10 2003

On a grant from the Daniel Langlois Foundation
(www.fondation-langlois.org), I am designing three instruments which I
call shinths (shit+synthesizer).  These instruments will have no
outer-surface, no knobs, not even an input or output jack. They are
simply a circuit board of extraordinary size, filled with twittering
electronic machines. Some parts are digital, some are analog, all are
wired to each other in a big web. It is an experiment; I want to create
a surface on which a circuit bender can play around intuitively, shoving
wires and "listening" in any place.

The project includes a tour/exposition of the instruments in action. For
it, I am looking for three performative, circuit-bending, deconstructive
types to play them.  If these adjectives don't fit you, please still
read on- I'm open to anyone.

To each performer, I will send an instrument, to practice and prepare
with.  I will provide transportation to and from the start and end of
the tour, and profits from the shows will be divided evenly among the
performers. At the least, I can say you will not pay any money to tour
North America. If any money is left, it will go to pressing a CD of the
highpoints of the tour.

Don't be discouraged if you feel your music isn't experimental enough;
any type of artist should apply, as long as you can mess up a circuit
board. Don't be discouraged if you don't build or mod instruments; I'm
looking for people to make music with them, and you shouldn't have to
make anything in addition to the gear you already use. And speaking of
gear- plan to fit it all into a briefcase.

Please send me some music, at least three tracks, and if you have a
website with supplementary material it's even better. Show me your show.
Again, I'm not looking for instrument building or modding skills, but a
good show. You can email me at peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx I also love getting
CDs though, please mail me at:

PB
2845 W Armitage
Chicago, IL, 60647

The deadline is Sept. 10, 2003

To see some other instruments I have made, visit
http://www.blasser.com

A website version of the shinth project is available at
http://www.blasser.com/shinth

Thanks!
-Peter