re:MIDI could be evil

> It prolly isn't what you're looking for but here's a related story:

Don't blame the protocol (MIDI) for an unexploited flaw in the Microsoft OS!

Actually reading that it looks to me that in order to stick something
malicious inside MIDI, buffer overflow or not, you first have to alter
an existing app or execute an app to interpret that somthing stuck
inside MIDI. Aside from relatively inefficient data transission, aside
from possibly getting something to crash there isn't much potential for
harnassing midi for any evil besides bad music

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:09:43 -0700 (PDT)
> m wrote:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3095181.stm
> >
> > also was there a topic here a while ago about running an update to osX  / xp or directx that disabled something /
> messed your audio drivers??
> >
> > ...a bit vague  i know but anyone got any ideas??

There's nothing I know of so general as to affect both XP and OSX with
audio. You can easily run into a situation especially with installing an
older app on a newer OS or possibly newer Direct X version where the
installer writes or overwrites something it shouldn't. I'd wager this is
usually the culprit for something getting messed up, I know I've done
that. It's sometimes a sloppy way to write installers but I guess it can
help sell software that backs up or logs system changes for a possible
undo ;-( ...But I guess companies can also argue that you should check
their site for up to the minute compatability issues and corrected updates

nick
http://www.artskool.biz/jem/ndkent/
my live performances