re: droplifting

I like the idea of leaving CDs in non-CD stores best
(book stores that don't sell CDs, clothing shops,
grocery stores, magazine shops, etc) because of it
being put into a new context (a CD left behind in a
place where there are no other CDs).  Any points trying
to be made by droplifting a CD at a store that already
had CDs would, in my opinion, be moot.  I worked at a
CD store for a few years a few years back that sold new
and used CDs and whenever a CD was brought up to the
counter that didn't have a price tag, we would just
assume that either we had forgotten to tag it with a
price, or the price tag had fallen off.  It was no big
deal and neither us nor the customer thought twice
about that happening.  We would then charge what we
felt was fair.  Maybe some of those CDs had no price
tags because they had been droplifted, but had that
been done, neither us at the store nor the person
purchasing the CD would have known.  And the result
would have been pretty much the same as if the artist
brought the CD to the store for sale on consignment but
never bothered to come by and pick up his/her part of
the money made when the CD sold. ie the shop would make
money off the droplifted CD.  So it would be more like
passive-aggressive marketing by the artist rather than
any points being made re: capitalism and consumerism.
Leaving CDs in stores that don't sell CDs would be a
different matter and would be likely to make people
think.  Andrew Duke

out now: Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org
Take Nothing For Granted http://acidfake.tk
Sprung http://bip-hop.com
http://warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?
cat=BLEEP12&fc_type=CD
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized http://staalplaat.com
Highest Common Denominator http://pieheadrecords.com
Physical and Mental Health http://dialrecords.com
74'02 (split with Hypo) http://tsunami-addiction.com
Waveforms: Halifax Electronic Music Compilation
http://techno.ca/cognition