Re: microsound Digest 10 Aug 2003 16:22:55 -0000 Issue 981

On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 11:22  AM,=20
microsound-digest-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What he also fails to address is that
> it is primarily white, suburban consumers that are driving the market
> for gansta, bling-bling style rap.  But while he may be stereotyping=20=

> rap
> and not quite contemporary in his views, I think he still brings to=20
> bear
> the important fact that volume rap sales represent quite insulting,
> mysoginistic, violent viewpoints that are (if you take into account
> Michael Ray Charles' studies) not particularly contemporary or
> all-encompassing views and representations of African Americans, but=20=

> are
> at best narrow stereotypes and at worst harmful re-presentations of
> racist, stereotypical imagery that has been a part of American culture
> for at least the last hundred years.

???
i am interested in some of the "white boy rap" that is coming out=20
reciently and how it relates to this [above] discussion ++ lecture.=20
artists like :
mc paul barman // http://www.mcpaulbarman.com/
gold chains // http://www.musork.com/gcvideo/
and from what i have seen (& not heard yet) kid606 "starship galactica"

what would be really interesting is how the "bling" culture interpertes=20=

this kind of approach. is it inclusive || exclusive || mocking || does=20=

it support McWhorter's viewpoint
???