Re: [microsound] listening

Phil Thomson wrote:
> I find postings that just contain lists of recordings or texts with no
> contextual information not to be very useful. I'd still like to see a
> bit more what people are reading, but also don't mind seeing lists of
> people's listening, but I would humbly request that some context be
> provided for the lists provided.

agreed. the context is the more interesting part most of the time.

for example, i taped the Myrna Loy mini-marathon on TCM yesterday so that i
could capture the incidental noises as there was little in the way of
incidental soundtrack or ambient foley to the Thin Man movies. plus WIlliam
Powell has a plunder-worthy voice if ever there were one...

while waiting on the DSP of the tracks i'm readying for Klanghausen, i've
been flipping the TV between VH1Classic (lots of old electro from back in da
day as well as truly hilarious moments in primitive video art) and the New
Wave station on MusicChoice (for the very same reason). as the DSP box's
soun doutputs are now hooked through the A/V system, i can check my
processes with just a couple of clicks of the remote.

this coming weekend, the spouse-equivalent and i are heading to Indianapolis
for a benefit for the NCSF featuring Nimbus, stAllio!, DJ Alyda doing a
"middle eastern electroclash" set (i have to see what that's all about just
from the description alone) as well as the final live performance of
CrimsonMane. while cameras aren't allowed at the event, i've gotten
permission to tape the audio of the CM performance. if only i could've been
able to use those sounds as impulses... ;) well worth the 500+ miles of
driving. add to that the opportunity to take a few laps at the IMS in a pace
car and it's a Must Do trip for two former Autocrossers...

the road music is leaning much towards my usual f'ed-up driving mix - Led
Zeppelin, Front 242, Gary Numan, Johnny Cash, Pogues, Cocteau Twins, David
Bowie, Rolling Stones, etc. very little from the last 15 years...

saturday, i caught the Fadladder/Datura 1.0 show at the University of
Minnesota. April had the right idea with the Datura set - she laid herself
out on a concrete slab and closed her eyes and just drifted into the waves
of circuit bent noise. unfortunately, i'm too much of a geek and felt the
need to go poking at the the toys afterwards... c'est la vie. i did grab a
couple of performance ideas for myself from it... but for obvious reasons,
i'm not going to share. nyah. ;)

my reading has been remarkably professionally oriented these days -
pseudo-ethnic cookbooks with multiple trips to Larousse Gastronomique as
reference to translate things into a more neo-classical French culinary
idiom. which really isn't as odd as it sounds at first.

and since it's forming a good chunk of my immediate listening: my
Klanghausen piece is playing with the concept of "impulse". while most
impulses are short, why can't they equally be extended to a short loop which
is used as a trigger or modulation source? so i fired up my old EEG-to-MIDI
controller and started playing with driving a Scanned orchestra in CSound
via brainwaves that is repeatedly triggered by an impulse that's equally
driven by brainwaves creating a mesh of binaural beats that i was listening
to while recording the initial EEG control data. it's a more interesting
feedback loop than simply using it for bad synth-metal (as in my last few
performances). i'm more surprised by how rhythmic it's actually developed to
be. the DSP i'm doing now is more a matter of cleaning everything up for
final "mastering" for the best response as an MP3...

enough context for y'all? ;)

love, keith