Re: [microsound] avi converters?

> quicktime pro. or are you looking for a realtime converter?
>
> on 8/25/03 11:59 AM, kelly davis at kelly_davis@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > any suggestions for nice avi to mpg or to quicktime (mac-compatible)
> > converters?

>From my recent experiences there's an avalanche of third party .AVI
codecs that people are using.

 Quicktime (pro or not) usually deals with what Micorsoft supplies as
standard AVI codecs and opens them through quicktime. Third party stuff
is overwhelmingly is PC only . I've found DivX (a popular third party
codec for ripped movies) seems to support the Mac decently, so if what
you have is in DivX (one of many MPEG4 flavors afaik) then it would be a
case of downloading their codec then quicktime can read their stuff (or
their player app can play it smoother, but won't let you convert or
anything). I don't think there is anything on the mac to sniff out what
codec is being used on your .AVI file. Like if quicktime can open it and
you see an image then QTPro can save it as MPEG, if not then chances are
you need Windows and possibly a downloadable codec (exactly which one
may be perplexing if you aren't told, there seem to be windows codec
sniffing utilities now to see what's in your AVI, a very recent development).

Cleaner is what I'd consider the pro app on the mac to do encoding, but
for the most part with a couple exceptions (real media) it will rely on
the quicktime codecs your already have going in quicktime. I know that's
dissapointed friends who get a hold of it and expect it to be a can
openner and be able to all write these obscure linux open source media
formats, which isn't going to happen (meaning if you can't get quicktime
player on it's own to open it and can't get QuicktimePro to write it
then don't bet that any Mac app will, they all access video through
quicktime so checkfor mac versions of the right codecs (unlikely), give
virtual pc a try too, or go over to a windows box)