discribing listening

>I find postings that just contain lists of recordings or texts with no
>contextual information not to be very useful. I'd still like to see a
>bit more what people are reading, but also don't mind seeing lists of
>people's listening, but I would humbly request that some context be
>provided for the lists provided.

---

>anne laplantine: days never border (upcoming on emphase)
http://www23.brinkster.com/annelaplantine/

a beloved friend of mine from france, now living in berlin.
some of these pieces are very close to "my" ideal of a music for children (say, of the age of 3-8?).
haunting melodies, beautifully crafted.

>pietro grossi: musicautomatica (die schachtel)
http://www.leonet.it/art/homeart/breve-en.html

from a-musik.com:
minimalist before the minimalists (progetto 2/3_1961), pioneer of computer music, founder of the
studio of phonology of florence, visual artist and hacker ahead of the time this was pietro grossi,
a larger-than-life italian and composer who questioned the concept of musical authorship
(collage_1968) the idea of personal artistic expression: "a piece is not only a 'work' (of art), but
also one of the many 'works' one can freely transform: everything is temporary, everything can
change at any time. "ideas are not personal anymore, they are opened to every solution, everybody
could use them" (unicum_1985). the infinite music of pietro grossi is published for the first time
by die schachtel in a limited edition of 300 black vinyl lps

>pan american: memorize (en/of)
http://baeumen.de/bottrop-boy/html/e_012.html
http://www.mo-artgallery.nl/demandplhr.htm

my favourite en/of edition so far and certainly my favourite pan american record.
very simple, very sad, a rainy landscape as discribed by a guitar.

>astro twin/cosmos: st/ (fmc)
http://www.japanimprov.com/indies/fmn/astrotwin.html

a doubleCD featuring two duos around tokyo based vocalist ami yoshida, both very electronic and
superhuman at the same time. yoshidas vocal performance is very unique and digested, as close as one
can get to your ear.

>john fahey: city of refuge (tim/kerr)
http://my.execpc.com/~pgkuchar/jfahey.htm

his comeback after a long absence, as far as i know.
no words on this one, if you are into faheys music at all and dont know this you should get it.

>saule: st/ (sub rosa)
http://www.ambientrance.org/0603/sau-s.html

orchestrated vinyl loops, very poetic.

>bonnie "prince" billy: master and everytone (palace/domino)
http://216.157.110.135/record-reviews/b/billy_bonnieprince/master-and-everyone.shtml

to me this is their best album so far, a bunch of great songs, simple with a very reduced and
effective orchestration. oldhams singing is still emotional but without being too theatrical. good
to get up to and good to go to bed, one of the records we are playing the most.

>jack smith: silent shadows on cinemaroc island vol. II (table of the
>elements)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000G4T2/onthewebcom-20/102-6162501-4561721

hmm, hard to discribe, certainly a movie for the ears, most likely one of the paul morrisey/joe
dallesandro kind.

>cocteau twins: treasure (4ad)
http://www.leonardslair.co.uk/treasure.htm

one of my favourite records of the 80s and one of the few that were allowed to play at the
hairdresser where i used to work back then. i was surprised to listen to the music again after many
years and find out how much impact their sound had on me.

>skarklehorse: its a wonderful life (capitol)
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/sparklehorse/its-a-wonderful-life.shtml

call it a beatles/crazy horse rip-off, i like the songs a lot, the way they are produced and how
every word tells a story.

 - stephan