Re: [microsound] reaktor 4: mac vs. pc

At 09:25 PM 8/27/03 +0200, you wrote:
>i've a question on reaktor 4.x.
>i compare it running on a powerbookg4 550MHz vs. a pc 1ghz Piii.  the
>result: it runs two times better on the piii than on mac. same sample per
>buffer, same sampling freq, same everything.....
>the mac and the should be comparable in performance (the mac sholud even be
>better....).
>does anybody know why? have you experienced the same?

Most of what Reaktor does is computationally intensive (and also floating
point internally, I believe), With a 1ghz Piii versus a 550MHz G4, the
clock speeds alone may account for most of the performance difference, even
though G4 architecture normally otherwise gives more bang per clock cycle
than a pentium.

On pentium/windows, Reaktor also makes good use of direct sound drivers so
it gets to the sound card rather quickly.  Reaktor is also more
Windows-centric than Mac-centric and so may have other optimizations
favoring that platform as well.

Aside from that, how do you like Reaktor??

Mike