RE: [microsound] Re: xenakis quote source

> i tend to think that this whole argument (which i do not know
> since i haven't read "Formalized Music") should be somewhat
> transposed, or at least the word "intelligence" be omitted.

You are reading it too literally.  Another quote from _Formalized Music_
might help:
"(...) the effort to make art while geometrizing, that is, by giving it a
reasoned support less perishable than the impulse of the moment, and hence
more serious, more worthy of the fierce fight which the human intelligence
wages in all other domains (...)"

I bought this book as soon as it came out on Pendragon Press in 1992.  It
was an illuminating read, and I do it again every couple of years, and I
heartily recommend it.  You don't have to share the same mindset to
appreciate it -- there is a quote by Wolfgang Rihm praising the paradigm
shift the book has created in him, and his music has little in common with
Xenakis'.

Cheers,
//paulo