Re: [microsound] sony

I think this is a brilliant piece of work by j.frede, just judging by the
reaction it has already provoked.  And if he makes a little money off of it
more power to him.

>So how do people think mcrsnd can maintain its critical edge as it
>becomes less and less marginal and emerges more and more into the
>mainstream(s)? Or is that important?
>Phil

I'm not sure that it's important but perhaps the issue revolves around the
question of the sound of the glitch vs. the process of error.  If the two
are indistinguishable and the exploration of digital system failure doesn't
provide any new sonic discoveries beyond a narrow pallette of "glitch", then
the concepts of microsound may become a dead end.  Let the pop producers
sample away.  But as long as the processes continue to be a fertile source
of inspiration for the artists involved then the practice of microsound is
in no danger.  Or is that argument too rooted in aesthetics?

If a glitch sample CD really threatens to ruin the "genre" then that only
proves the poverty of the glitch.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental