Re: [microsound] steiner's writings on music

--0-1818844536-1063318769=:47525

hello justin...

yes. i have a copy of that book. it's a collection of 7 lectures by rudolf steiner from between 1906 and 1923, and i first came across all the material in the book when it was part of a volume entitled "art in the light of mystery wisdom", which covered also the visual arts.

i think steiner's theories may be a bit too cosmically-orientated for some of the members of this list, but i personally find his points of view very interesting. after reading his ideas about the interval of a perfect fifth, i did a lot of experiment of my own, leading to me using my findings in much of my teaching work with very young children [including quite a bit of exploratory work with babies], and also in many of my compositions. very fruitful for me, anyway.

another interesting book following some of the same train of thought is "expanding tonal awareness", by heiner ruland, [rudolf steiner press, 1992, ISBN: 1 85584 170 3], which explores tuning systems, using the monochord, and includes plans for building said instrument.

this stuffs puts a different slant on the term "microsound", having nothing to do with digital techniques, but much to do with the inner nature of our experience of organized sound.

all the best.

michael ffish .  .   .

Justin Orndorff <raison__d_etre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Was just browsing through some local library listings and came upon Rudolf
Steiner's 'The Inner Nature of Music and the Experience of Tone'. Anyone
familiar with this? If so, comments?

--0-1818844536-1063318769=:47525--