Re: [microsound] [OT] cd mastering problems

Assuming that you burned your CD-r with cd-burner that is in / connected to
your computer.
The problem you describe sounds more like a badly burned CD-r rather than a
mastering problem.

Possible solutions could be:
- burn your CD-rs on a lower speed (2x or 4x at max!)
Burning CDs at higher speeds causes more errors thus more error corrections
on the CD-R, this results in quallity loss. In audio CDrs that is very
audioable and can be very annoying!

- change your brand of CD-rs
Especially unnamed lowbudget CD-rs are really bad. The CD-rs are cheaply
fabricate and contain lot's of bad area's or sectors, if you will, which
often causes CD-rs to crash while burning. Or you hear a major drop-off in
sound quallity while listening to it. For data cdrs with these worthless
discs it results in rapid fading of the information stored on the disc (it
will become unreadable).
I would suggest buying brands like TDK, Sony, and to a lesser extend
Memorex.

- change your burning software
Sometimes software is not compatible with the burner that you have / the
CD-rs that you are using. Try using Ahead Nero or Roxio CD-creator for
burning audio CD-rs.

- Don't do anything else while burning a CD-R on your computer. Although
they claim that you can do mutiple things at the same time it is not
recommanded with burning a CD-r. Burning CDs is a complex and delicate task.

If all that doesn't work I think it's time to purchase a new CD burner.
Ofcourse if the CDr that you burned played perfectly on a different
CD-player than it could be that the orginal CD-player is having trouble with
CD-rs or the lens is dirty. And in the worst case that is nearing it's
demise.

oh well, I guess I'll leave it at this.

Good luck!