RICHARD CHARTIER "busy as a beaver" update : OCTOBER

--============_-1146823084==_ma============

hello to all of you,
this is the october installment of the RICHARD CHARTIER update....
its finally getting cold again... all the leaves are getting brown
and the sky is grey

http://www.3particles.com

CURRENT/UPCOMING PROJECTS + EVENTS

EXHIBIT . Invisible Cities @ Galeria ZDB [ Lisbon, Portugal ]
Sept-October. more info about the invisible cities exhibit can be
found on http://www.fallt.com

CD . Two Point Two   [ 12k/LINE, US ] October 13, 2003  http://www.12k.com
Taylor  and I have assembled the double CD compilation showcasing new
exclusive works by various artists as a follow-up to 2001's "Between
Two Points" (12k1012/LINE_004). featuring:
AELAB, WILLIAM BASINSKI, RICHARD CHARTIER, COH, TAYLOR DEUPREE, M
=46ELL (of SND), KEN'ICHI ITOI,KENNETH KIRSCHNER, KOMET, THOM KUBLI,
GHISLAIN POIRIER, STEVE RODEN, S=C9BASTIEN ROUX,
DORON SADJA + MOTION, SAWAKO, SOGAR + UISON (of FONICA),
SKOLTZ_KOLGEN, STEINBRUCHEL, ASMUS TIETCHENS + DAVID LEE MYERS, VEND.
it is a very interesting array of works and presents new directions
for LINE as we proceed into our 4th year. Includes the new works
"Archival 1992" and "Specification.fourteen" (with Taylor Deupree).

CD . Overview [ 3particles, US ] October, 2003. This cd will feature
some of what I consider my best solo works. some will appear as
excerpts. it will include 3 works previously unreleased works.
"composition_location" (which was created for exhibit in the show The
Moderns at Castello Di Rivoli in Turin, Italy), "felt" (which was
originally available as an MP3.. now hear it in glorious 44.1hz),
"sketch for winter (version2)" (a new version of the work created as
a private limited edition) and also "series (exhibit)" (which is the
12 minute arrangement of Series that was exhibited at the 2002
Biennial Exhibit at the Whitney Museum of American Art in NY). The
reason for the cd compilation is that often times i am asked at live
shows especially ,,, "which cd should i buy that has the best work on
it" etc and this will give and overview of my work.. a starting point
for new listeners. and some new things for current listeners.
packaged in a 3 color fold out 6 panel 5" x 5" package. limited
hand-numbered edition of 500. This cd will initially be available
only at live performances starting in York UK (and the dates listed
below) then will become available through the website and stores in
november.

LIVE .  @ Sightsonic Festival of Digital Arts [York, UK ] Oct 16-19,
2003  http://www.sightsonic.com  with Yoshihiro Hanno

LIVE . @ Dublin Electronic Arts Festival [ Dublin, Ireland ] Oct 23
http://www.deafireland.com   with : Modul (raster-noton)Richard
Chartier (Line)Taylor Deupree (12K) Komet /Frank
Bretschneider (raster-noton)Micro-Nost (Mille Plateaux)
Pleite (Trapez)

LIVE . @ Observatori: 4th International of Artistic Investigation of
Valencia [ Valencia, Spain ] Oct 30-Nov 2 http://www.observatori.com
festival artists include: Asmus Tietchens,  The Hafler Trio,  CM Von
Hausswolf,  Cyclo....

BOOK .  "CD-Art" published by Rotovision, UK . out October 2003
This book will contain my design work for the first lowercase
compilation and the two Bernhard Gunter cds on LINE.
http://www.rotovision.com/description.asp?bookid=3D1833

CD . Archival 1991  [ Crouton Music ] November 11, 2003. This new 45
minute work was created utilizing two reprocessed analog recordings
of mine from 1991 and stays true to the aesthetic of my work during
that period. dark waves, drones and reverberations.
http://www.croutonmusic.com

LIVE . @ VOLT-AA (08)/ SAT [ Montreal, Canada ]  with Jean-Pierre
Gauthier (QUE), I8U (ORAL, QUE), Cal Crawford (Squint Fucker Press,
QUE) -  a deep listening event, good PA, Silence, no entry after
beginning of first set + a film to be announced.  @ SAT, 09-12-2003,
8h30/8.30 P.M

CD . William Basinski + Richard Chartier [ Spekk, Japan ] December
2003. This cd will feature 2 long collaborative pieces. the cover
will feature a small painting of mine from 2000.cd is current in
production in japan.

CD . "trackb" by 0/r  (*0/Nosei Sakata + Richard Chartier) on
compilation [ Contemporary Music Review, UK ]

CD . Chessmachine [ TBA ] 2004.  CHESSMACHINE is a collaborative art
project conceived by Richard Chartier (USA) and Ivan Pavlov/COH
(RUS). Geographical distance between the two defines the shape of the
collaboration which is reminiscent of the "distant" chess games from
the past, when the players would exchange their chess-moves using
mail [some of these used to take decades to complete]. In similar
manner, over the last two years the two players in this "game" have
been exchanging their music pieces or "moves", delivered by air mail,
each trying to convey their strategy to the opponent. After 16 moves
the first game is considered finished and the result is presented as
a CD release. There is certain humor inherent in the conceptual
dialectics of CHESSMACHINE, which can be seen referring to the
historical counter-standing of two political systems clashing in a
quiet conflict over a chess-board in the times of cold war-in this
project these become the use of MAC and PC computer operating systems
respectively by Chartier and Pavlov, as well as other subjective
metaphors for opposing sides. During this project an interesting
transformation occurred, an aesthetic displacement or shift in the
sounds and compositional techniques with the two player taking on
sonic characteristics of the "opponent's" strategy in any game of
intellect. A series of conceptually complementary live performances
is planned to explore the atmosphere of a chess-game in real time.

2x12" . 1.8  compilation _ early 2004. The compilation will be 2x12"
records with 4 tracks, 8 artists on each. Each artist has contributed
a 1.8 second sound file to be a lock groove. Each work ends with
another artists' lockgroove. Includes tracks by Tim Hecker,*0,
Duul_Drv, Taylor Deupree, Kim Cascone, 3x3is9, Roel Meelkop. My piece
is rather rhythmic.... it is a 12" right?!

CD .  (tentatively titled) "Performance" [ Trente Oiseaux, Germany ] May 200=
4.
This will be a recording of one of my live performance sets in late 2003.

OTHER PROJECTS IN THE WORKS .
mystery techno project with a young mystery musician.

working with taylor deupree this fall/winter to expand on the 8
channel piece "specification.twelve" exhibited at ICC into a stereo
composition for release on LINE in 2004. this will be our first full
length collaboration since 1999's "SPEC." cd.

  performances being organized for Geneva, Switzerland an Paris,
=46rance in early 2004.

<<<