drift 2 : submission deadlines approaching

Hello to everyone on the list!

Just a quick note to bring to your attention the approaching deadlines for
submissions for the upcoming =8Cdrift 2=B9.

Please feel free to send the below information to whoever you feel may be
interested.

Kindest regards.

Robert H. King
drift curator

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Drift: Sound Art + Experimental Music
Call For Participation
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Media Scotland calls for participation for Drift - an exploration
of sound art and experimental music which comprises live events,
radio broadcasts, moving image and publications.

The accessibility of the Internet together with new tools and methods
for digital recording, manipulation, reproduction and distribution
have changed forever the way that we think about and interact with
sound, giving us new ways to communicate our ideas. An increasing
number of artists, producers, DJ's and sonic creators, from a broad
spectrum of disciplines and varying modes of practice, are exploring
streaming media as a viable format. We want to open up this channel
further.

We are offering four opportunities to take part in Drift, details
follow. Further information, guidelines and application forms
available from the Drift web site:

http://www.mediascot.org/drift

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Drift Radio Art Commission 2003
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Media Scotland invites proposals for radio art projects for
Drift. We aim to commission a new radio art work for broadcast both
online and on-air, via audio streaming and FM transmission.

Fee - =A31,000

Support - We will provide practical assistance, access to streaming
media tools, and can offer some limited technical support on a
negotiated basis. New Media Scotland will facilitate the broadcast of
the commissioned work.

Eligibility - Only artists based in Scotland can apply

We will not accept proposals for:
- audio documentation of projects that exist in another form
- projects which have already been produced

Guidelines and application form available from
http://www.mediascot.org/drift

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Drift Radio Programme Proposals
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Media Scotland invites proposals for radio art programmes. We
want to provide a platform for your ideas - one-off events, regular
shows, experimental sound projects, radio art work for broadcast both
online and on-air, via audio streaming and FM transmission.

We cannot pay a fee for this opportunity, but we will support you to
realise your programme ideas.

Support - We will provide practical assistance, access to streaming
media tools, and can offer some limited technical support on a
negotiated basis. New Media Scotland will facilitate the broadcast of
your programmes.

Eligibility - Open to artists, musicians, producers based in Scotland
and the UK

Guidelines and Programme Summary form available from
http://www.mediascot.org/drift

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Resonant Cities: Call for Sound Works
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Media Scotland seeks sound works for 'Resonant Cities': Internet
radio streaming that explore the sonic identity of our surrounding
space and that engage with the fragmented 'noise' of the city
soundscape: people, traffic, communication intrusions, mobile phones,
radio traffic, city wildlife, buildings...

We are particularly interested in audio works which involve one or
several of the following ideas or processes:

- Acoustic Ecology - Acousmatics - Phonography - Sonic research -
Radio art, Internet radio - Microsound - Lowercase sound - Internet
communication media and audio streaming - Electronic communities -
Artists' software for sound and music - Sound work developed using
open source processes and principles - Generative sound - Sound
archives - Spoken word / oral history - Field recordings - The
re-purposing / representing of existing analogue sound recordings,
such as amateur recordings, scientific recordings, and accidental,
lost or abandoned recordings -

The works selected by the Drift team will then be curated into themed
streams that will be available via this web site.

Our intention is to expand the audience for the work, encourage
appreciation of sound art, and broaden access to a genre which is too
often labelled as esoteric and inaccessible.

We cannot pay a fee for this opportunity, but we will facilitate the
broadcast of your work.

Eligibility - Open to artists, musicians, producers in the UK and
across the globe.

Guidelines and submission form available from http://www.mediascot.org/drif=

Drift Touring Video Programme: Call for Moving Image Works

New Media Scotland seeks sound-based moving image works for Drift. We
plan to curate and tour a feature-length programme of short moving
image works. We are looking for films and videos which take as their
starting point sound art or experimental music. This can include
experimental moving image works by artists and films made by
musicians, as well as pieces which combine performance aesthetics
with sound.

The Drift moving image programme will tour to venues in Scotland, the
UK and internationally. A specially designed brochure will be
produced featuring information on the artists and their works.

Fee - Selected artists will be paid a fee for the rights to tour the work.

Eligibility - Open to artists, musicians, producers based in Scotland
and the UK.

Guidelines and submission form available from http://www.mediascot.org/drif=

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Drift organised by New Media Scotland. Supported by the Scottish Arts
Council and the Daniel Langlois Foundation for Art, Science and
Technology.

For further information, visit the Drift web site
http://www.mediascot.org/drift
or contact New Media Scotland at the address below.

--=20
                                       info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
New Media Scotland                 tel: +44 131 477 3774
P.O. Box 23434, Edinburgh EH7 5SZ  fax: +44 131 477 3775
Scotland, UK                    http://www.mediascot.org