Re: [microsound] open source

I'd be interested in the hope associated with open source use. I can't use the
chat room well, but i'd like reading the results when possible.

Making documentation takes a lot of time and work! I hope installing Linux
won't be too much for me, but I am going to try soon, for the reasons Derek
mentioned. I will simply feel better, and I will learn too.

I have used macs since 1996. Easy to learn that OS for me at least to the point
I can fix things, migrate stuff, etc. I have always wanted to install and learn
Linux (not just so I could use and learn PD), and this documentation of Derek's
is an inspiration to go for it, although it seems PD is good in OS X now.  I
have always read Michael Seta's posts re: Linux with interest, btw - just too
busy to try to investigate much at the time. I've been able to learn what I do
know about software while too blind to read much, and not being able to use
print at all. Today, the documentation online is making it possible to attempt
it w/o having the means to get formal instruction (the one local guy I know who
could teach me is unable to spare the time).

A few questions:

1. If I get a box to install Linux on, and want to do major sound mangling on
it, what are some list recommendations, for desk and laptop brands, speed,
etc.? Can a cheap Tiger Direct or used PC box make it? Should it be Intel
chipset based? Can I install on my g4s?

2. Is there a preferred Linux, as i've heard, for certain chips/systems?

3. Is Linux compatible with hardware like the MOTU pci-324 or what-have-you
breakout boxes and/or sound cards? Also CD burners etc. (I am sure it must be
on that last).

I like the idea of slowly making communications hardware and software cheaper
and more available to the "3rd" world especially. I also think the paradigm of
open source should be applied to genetics, pharmaceuticals, and food, i.e.
seeds should be free for farmers to save, and medicine should be distributed at
cost or below - and genetic cures should never be sold. I may be a cranky old
lefty, but I'll probably never change...I keep waiting for a reaonable argument
to convince me.

Oh - also for voting!!

see:
http://www.counterpunch.org/tripp02202003.html

(please- make those arguments by phone - or come over for a coffee)  :))

tim