Re: Re: [microsound] no OS

well then...is there anything that CAN'T be interpreted as being political in some way ?

...it seems to me that any act can be pigeonholed into some sort of agenda by an outside observer, regardless of what the perpetrator's actual motives were...

perhaps this is the case...i'm not sure, but it does make me sort of nervous...it seems that this is a methodology that is commonly used by repressive governments to rid themselves of competing ideologies...personally, i find it very strange/disturbing to have some sort of political agenda grafted onto my work or to have something that's personal and non-ideological suddenly thrust into a political context by an outsider.

i remember reading an article in 'arts' magazine a while back...they were discussing an artist who had traditionally been viewed as 'political'; they were interviewing a fellow artist/friend of the person in question (sorry, i can't remember any specific details right now - may have been philip guston)...anyway...the friend commented on the fact that he found it funny that the artist's style/imagery had been attributed to socio-political motives, when in fact the imagery arose from a much more mundane and quotidian source...something to the effect of: 'if people could see what he saw outside of his window every day they would understand where the artist came from a lot better'...