Re: [microsound] no OS

<The import of an artwork is not a decision=2E It is complex and=20
multi-faceted=2E
No artist has full control of what their work will mean, and they shouldn'=
have either=2E Artists are not wiser than other people=2E But good artwork=
s=20
are=2E>

i agree, though i resist the implication that the artwork ITSELF contains=20=

any kind of meaning=2E any artwork=2E no matter what, it is a thing until=20=

regarded=2E art is not art by itself, it needs the interaction of SOMEthin=
g=2E=20
but my question, basically, and this is a life-long obsession of mine, is=20=

why bother critiquing anything unless you can say for CERTAIN in=20
whose mind the correct view of the piece exists=2E is it the artist or the=
=20
audience? if you can't say, and if you can't say for certain, then you=20
should simply shut up and enjoy it or despise it in private=2E signifiganc=
e=20
is added to art by society, as i was saying before, but it can be just as=20=

fickle as a society's political leanings=2E so if the opinion of art waver=
s=20
and alters, but the artwork does not, this suggests that the audience is=20=

the incorrect place to look for a work's true meaning=2E artists die, of=20=

course, and society (so far) has not (though SOME have, natch)=2E this=20
means the artist is difficult to ask past a certain point (and probably=20=

difficult to approach even while alive)=2E so this poses a quandary=2E the=
re=20
is no reliable place to look for a truthful definition of the meaning of a=
=20
piece of art, or even the truth of it's "art"liness=2E certainly not the a=
rt
itself,=20
unless you're a meglomaniac, or utterly self-possessed=2E we should,=20
then, abandon that line of inquiry all together, declare all art merely=20=

things, sell off posessions, sit smiling all day in the glowing knowledge=20=

of everlasting nothingness=2E the tug between the void that we intuit and=20=

the wall we so desperately try and build to obscure that void is long and=20=

well-built, but from nothingness we came, and to nothingness we=20
return=2E might as well not even buy a ticket on this particular train of=20=

thought unless you're willing to ride it straight through the wall of your=
=20
percept system=2E
=2Edevon:
(my meglomaniacal oratorio)