R.I.P. - MP3.com ???

did anyone else get this? or know more about this? is this the death of
MP3.com as we know it (ie: for underground artists)

            MP3.com Announcement

            CNET Networks, Inc announced today that it has acquired certain
assets of MP3.com, Inc.

            Please be advised that on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 at 12:00 PM
PST the MP3.com website will no longer be accessible in its current form.

            CNET Networks, Inc. plans to introduce a new MP3 music service
in the near future. If you would like to receive email updates on this
service, including an invitation to a special members-only preview, please
sign up here.

            MP3.com is not transferring your personal information to CNET
Networks, Inc. or any other third party.

            On behalf of all of us at MP3.com we thank you for your
patronage and continued support. It has been a privilege to host one of the
largest and most diverse collections of music in the world. MP3.com wishes
to express its sincere thanks to each of you for making us your premier
destination for music online.

            Sincerely,
            MP3.com