Fra: Greg Headley [mailto:greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sendt: 16. november 2003 00:34
Til: microsound
Emne: Re: [microsound] noise?

I agree with some replies already made that "intensity of experience" is an
acceptable response. It's a lamentable fact that most of us who become
musicians or painters or filmmakers (those who "look behind the curtain")
lose much of our ability simply to experience art. We have to analyze it or
(second) guess the means of production and aesthetic or structural content.

Can't art speak only to the emotions? Do we always have to "get it" too?
It's answering "yes" to the latter that turns off so many people and keeps
them from trying to approach new or different art forms. So we do indeed end
up making "music for the same 500 people" (with credit to Rick Reed).

This seems to have arisen with 20th century modern art. It's not so hard to
get Vermeer, his paintings look like the things pictured in them. But how do
you approach Pollock? Critical analysis is important and certainly can help
deepen an appreciation for artistic expression. But, why can't we sometimes
just like something because we like it? Art should appeal to and engage the
whole person, not just the frontal lobe. If someone just likes to zone out
listening to Merzbow, that's a complete and valid response.

David Michael:

It seems you just don't like noise. That's fine, don't listen to it. It's
enough to cite the headache factor. Understanding what you're hearing is not
going to make much difference, if noise as music even can be understood in
any conventional sense. If you do want to try, I'm afraid you will have to
listen to a lot of noise to separate the good from the bad (as it were, this
is all subjective; I like Merzbow but he's released his share of crap). It's
the same with anything. You couldn't tell somebody to listen to a few Stones
albums and expect them to understand or appreciate rock music.

Greg Headley
--
http://www.gregheadley.com
http://www.28angles.com