[microsound] Re: microsound Digest 23 Dec 2003 01:26:46 -0000 Issue 1082

> > - should we adopt the Creative Commons License for our content?
>
> note that there are few different CC licenses.  Some are not in the
> spirit of 'open' and 'free' (as in speech - 'libre').
> and accepted under certain circumstances).  And so, only the artists who
> are willing to 'give away' their work under a free license will be able
> to contribute.

I think a more moderate but still quite effective solution would be to
require all contributors to choose a CC license.  The flexibility of the
CC licensing would allow everyone to distribute work according to their
own needs/ desires.

Additionally, it would get us all in the habit of choosing a license for
the work we release.  Explicitly allowing/disallowing sharing,
sampling, re-release, etc-- is so much better than simply posting for download.

Kevin