Re: [microsound] Good day...snow day!!!

on 12/17/03 10:34 AM, tomoroh hidari at hidari@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Haven't you heard the Noel Coward quotation, "extraordinary how potent cheap
> music [i.e. pop music] can be"?
>
> noel coward.... never actually heard of him except in the subtitle to the
> penis song (the not a noel coward song) by tony m. nyphot. who is or whas he?
>
> f'thagn,
> hidari

"Noel Coward virtually invented the concept of Englishness for the 20th
Century. An astounding polymath - dramatist, actor, writer, composer,
lyricist, painter and wit - he was defined by his Englishness as much as he
defined it. He was indeed the first Brit Pop star, the first ambassador of
'cool Britannia'. Even before his 1924 drugs-and-sex scandal of The Vortex,
his fans were hanging out of their scarves over the theatre balcony,
imitating their idol's dress, and repeating each 'Noelism' with glee.

Born in suburban Teddington on 16 December, 1899, Coward was on stage by the
age of six, and writing his first drama ten years later. A visit to New York
in 1921 infused him with the pace of Broadway shows, and he injected its
speed into staid British drama and music to create high-octane rush for the
jazz-mad, dance-crazy 20s.

Coward's style was imitated everywhere, as quite normal Englishmen donned
dressing gowns, stuck cigarettes in long holders and called each other
'draling'; his revues propagated the message, with songs sentimental - 'A
Room With A View', 'I'll See You Again' - and satirical - 'Mad Dogs and
Englishmen', 'Don't Put Your Daughter On the Stage, Mrs Worthington'. His
between-the-wars celebrity reached a peak in 1930 with Private Lives by
which time he had become the highest earning author in the Western World."