Re: [microsound] Dust to Dust

hey everyone,

Of note, Jeremy Turner did this a few years ago for a series of 'sound
objekts.' If you are in Canada, grab a copy of the Summer issue of
MusicWorks -- I jotted a critical & conceptual review in there of his
project. The tracks are available online at:

http://www.dont-miss.net/

... click on the 'before' button, then scroll with the other button to
'jeremy owen turner.' Make sure to check out the 'theory'.

Bingo.

Gotta love Flash & the inability to direct link.

best,

tobias

> Hi all,
>
> Not really thinking of submitting this for the .microsound project, but
> this seven seconds thing got me thinking. And I tried this:
>
> http://www.sfu.ca/~pthomson/PhilThomson_DustToDust.mp3
>
> A digital readymade: I took project founder Kim Cascone's entire "Dust
> Theories" CD (about an hour of music) and time-compressed it into seven
> seconds. What's surprising is how fidelitous it is to the original,
> both, I think, in terms of both aesthetics and concept: a piece made as
> a kind of aural theory of sonic dust is itself electroacoustically
> "pulverized", reduced back into its constituent element. The result can
> be thought of as either a synopsis, or the basis for a new aural
> "theory", perhaps now according to a fractal logic of recursive
> self-similarity: make a new piece from this "dust", "pulverize" it, make
> a new piece, etc., so that the whole resembles the part on multiple
> levels.
>
> Just a theory. :-)
>
> Phil
>

> :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>
> Phil Thomson
> http://www.sfu.ca/~pthomson/
> http://centibel.vze.com/
> http://www.freelists.org/webpage/experimustech

> Get the FREE email that has everyone talking at
> http://www.mail2world.com

tobias c. van Veen -----------
http://www.quadrantcrossing.org
http://www.thisistheonlyart.com