Re: [microsound] Read this on the Coil list...

as someone else said : a coil fan, of all people, is taking this line?

>?I find Raster-Noton pretty much a joke and one a
>lot of buffoons are falling for: #1 find software geeks who have
>absolutely no musical talent; #2 make a lot of crappy computer twitters;
>#3 sink more efforts into packaging than quality control in terms of
>music; and loads of stupid Europeans, eager to part with their money, will
>drool over it.? - Jon Whitney

hmm ... i'm not sure the raster-noton quality control is all it could be, but there are some excellent artists on the label (noto, william basinski, cyclo, byetone).

as for the packaging, what's wrong with 'sinking effort' into what something looks like? i suspect coil put at least as much effort into their covers - it's just the aesthetics are rather different (to put it mildly).

raster-noton explicitly sets itself up in the space between sound art, minimalism and leftfield electronic music; a focus on appearances and packaging is a given, surely. buying a raster-noton release feels like buying a piece of sound sculpture, rather than simply buying a cd.

and when one of the main features of the music is ambient listening or mood creation - as it is in the this case - packaging actually adds to the whole, rather than detracting or distracting from the sounds inside.

max

SLOW SOUND SYSTEM
Lie down and be counted
team@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.slowsound.net

-----

posset vs slow sound system, 'entropy sessions', out now on kabuki kore
http://www.kabukikore.net

'first steps' out now on grain of sound
http://www.grainofsound.com

remix + rebuild project on 8bit recs
http://www.8bitrecs.com

imax image gallery
http://www.lomohomes.com/imax

london headphones festival
http://placard.slab.org

Hearing Aid Records for Resonance 104.4 FM presents:
Various Artists: ?Flat Pack Antenna?
Release Date: Sept 30th 2003
500 only numbered edition vinyl LP
Hearing Aid records (YAH 001)
http://www.resonancefm.com

no? reply to this email with 'get off' in the subject line.

-----

--
Personalised email by http://another.com