Re: [microsound] visual microsound...?

http://www.auto-illustrator.com/

An Adobe Photoshop (TM) parody. Includes a plugin which renders visuals to
sound. I used it a few years ago under Windows, and it wasn't terribly
stable, but those were the beta days, and it runs under OS X now.

The Windows version of Photoshop includes an "Open as..." function which
enables you to open any file as an image. Open, e.g., Internet Explorer...
as an image! Some people have experimented with opening sound files as
images, tweaking them in photoshop, then saving them as sound files again.
Applying blur to a soundfile-image becomes somewhat like reverb and so
on...

GoogleSynth searches the Google image search engine and convolves two
random images together. I don't know the URL offhand, but you can Google
the GoogleSynth... :-)

Open an image in a hex editor and perform random search-and-replaces,
thus inducing glitches in the image. Works with sound too, to some
extent...

Check the databenders list at Yahoo! and search the message archive for
image-making techniques...

That's all I can think of right now...

Phil

PS. "visual microsound"? Kind of a paradox/oxymoron, no? How about we call
it "microscope"? :-)

> i am also interested in any downloadable programs which can help create
> interesting visual art. an example of what i mean is a program which can
> replicate the effect that occurs when a dvd is playing on a computer and
> other programs are running, resulting in the dvd program slowing down and
> causing square patches from one part of the image to appear elsewhere in the
> image. however, i am interested in any and all programs which can help to
> create anything visually novel - unusual photo editors, programs which
> actually generate images, etc etc etc - specifically anything relating to
> the idea of visual microsound.

philthom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://www.freeshell.org/
Geekier than you since 1987.