[microsound] RE: Spirit on Mars

> Anyone knows were to find the spirit sounds from Mars.

My lab is very much involved in processing all of the data from Spirit
and Opportunity, so if sound data exist, I can find them.  There are no
real microphones on the rovers, but it was once mentioned to me in
passing that the contact sensor on the instrument arm might be able to
serve as a contact microphone.  I don't know what the sampling rate or
the bit depth would be though, if this is true.  Where did you hear
about the sounds?

Whether or not sounds can be recorded directly, I was thinking about the
possibility of sonifying some of the rover data, particularly the pivot
angles of the rover suspension, which we use to extract information
about the shape of the surface that the vehicle is driving over.

If there is interest in using rover data for a microsound project, I'm
sure that NASA would be quite happy to make the data available.

-nathan