Re: [microsound] 'new standard'?

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 11:57, Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:
> Is this the new standard in electronic music performance
> equipment...[eek]?:
> http://www.openlabs.com/neko64.php

crikies! $9k USD?

once upon a time, the beast they were pitching featured the synthesis
engine based on RedHat and CSound - and now WinXP and some mystery soft
and GUI? definitely no thanks.

i will say there's a certain appeal to hardware-based performance
systems - i'm saving my pennies for a Roland MC909 these days - but
mostly for linking with other performance tools. in my case, the V-Link
thingamabob to connect to a video recorder so that i can use the
on-board sequencer to trigger video patterns as well as sound ones,
combined with the D-Beam widgets to tweak the sounds...

but none of this alters what i start off with - things created
elsewhere. it's merely a performance appliance to make my life a bit
easier.

again, YMMV. have fun!
love, keith
....from a P2 box now running DARWIN! woo hoo!