[microsound] re: sine waves and white noise

1) why are there so many artists/composers/music makers using only sine
waves and white noise to make compositions?

my answers are my own, too.. for me it is because these are 2 very basic building blocks of sound. the sinewave is the fundamental basis for all sounds.. so you are working with a very very very stripped down and simple form. as a polar oppoiste, white noise contains ALL frequencies.. so it makes a nice counterpoint to the sinewave.

when working with such building blocks you free yourself from a lot of preconceived notions about sounds, sources, and other connotations.

2) why do such artists/composers/music makers and their works often receive
higher praise then if the works were conceived by other means?

do you mean artists who use sinewaves and white noise? i don't think this is true at all. in fact, i, personally, am quite tired of music that is all sinewaves and white noise. it was very much the norm in the early days of microsound but i don't think such compositions hold up as well these days. not to mention there have been a few artists who have truely mastered such forms (ikeda comes to mind) and have really had their own names applied to these sounds as references.

i'm very happy to see the microsound palette moving away from sinewaves and noise.. it's been very refreshing.

and, "higher praise"? i more often see "oh no, not another sinewave cd.."...

- taylor

-- .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12k | LINE | HAPPY WWW.12K.COM

NOW:
CD: Taylor Deupree Christopher Willits [Audiosphere/Sub Rosa]
ARTICLE: "12k/LINE label profile" E/I Magazine http://www.ei-mag.com
ARTICLE: "Return to Form"  Artforum November 2003
BOOK: design works in "CD-Art" book [ Rotovision, UK ]

SOON:
CD: participant on Bip Hop Generation v.7 [Bip-Hop, France]
CD: "Conquer Me" on Soundcultures [Mille Plateaux, Germany]
CD: January [Spekk, Japan] Jan2004