[microsound] re: voices

In a message dated 16/01/2004 17:05:56 GMT Standard Time, avictor01@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
i thought it would be cool to listen something that are out of the borders of music notes sang by human voice. can you please advice me an experimental acapella band ? can't find anything like that

Two folks whose records you might enjoy are Phil Minton and Jaap Blonk. Minton's "A Doughnut in Both Hands" CD on FMP is spectacular solo voice improvisation, all recorded live with one mic... the music barely resembles human voice at all! He has led an a capella improvising trio (or maybe a quartet? I can't remember) that involved all extended techniques. The group did a CD, also on FMP... sorry, I can't recall any more info than that.

Jaap Blonk's "Flux-de-Bouche" CD on Staalplaat is also a solo voice recording using non-traditional singing techniques, but he does some sound poetry (by Rudolf Blumner, Hugo Ball, Robert Wilson) as well a original compositions. His newer CD, "Avers$huw", contains computer and voice improvisations and is a different animal entirely, but I like it a lot.

Jarrod Fowler mentioned Liz Tonne, from the BSC... to my knowledge, she hasn't done any solo voice recordings (yet), though she has just done a duo 10" on Sedimental with Boston-based reeds player Dave Gross. On other recordings, she's mostly an ensemble player, blending her contributions in with a group sound.

Howard Stelzer.
label and mailorder: www.intransitiverecordings.com
artist site: www.howardstelzer.com

New electronic, improvised, & noise music in the mailorder shop: NEW music by Seth Nehil & Olivia Block, Lionel Marchetti, Taku Unami, Birchville Cat Motel, Agencement, Gert-Jan Prins, Kapotte Muziek, Ekkehard Ehlers, the BSC, and lots more...