Re: [microsound] Derrida

On Thursday, January 15, 2004, at 10:35 PM, Ian Andrews wrote:

Caleb Deupreewrote:

I admit to not having followed Derrida for some years, but I had come
to the conclusion that deconstruction was just a fancy introverted way
of saying anything goes and therefore required no further attention.

I can understand that such a conclusion could easily be reached if you try
to look at deconstruction as a unified and self contained philosophy or
theory. The problem is that it ain't. It is more a "supplement" to the
enterprise of Western philosophy (in particular the history of metaphysics
from Plato to Hegel). One that does not attempt to overturn that history,
but instead, to think (and read) it differently. Thus it's value lies in
providing us with a set of tools and methodologies for this task.