Re: [microsound] playing the no-input mixing board

I can see the point here. David Tudor, in his technical genius, wound up doing something like almost all sorts of later techniques. However, in my knowledge of Tudor he never took a mixing board and turned it into an instrument of its own (i.e. he never used a no-input mixing board, and thus could not be the founder of this technique). Perhaps he did, and I do not know about it, but it seems to me that there is something uniquely interesting about this aspect of no-input mixing board. Taking something that is meant for one purpose and using it for another. Tudor did that generally of course by taking apart all sorts of contraptions and building new instruments out of them. But, in the case of no-input mixing board, someone is taking a machine that is meant as a mere conduit of sound and turning it into an intrument in its own right, and doing it in a very simple and subtle way. The founder of the no-input mixing board technique would be the first person to take a mixing board and plug the outputs into the inputs and start messing around with it. Someone who worked with feedback in some way, or built feedback machines (such as David Lee Myers that someone posted about) is not who started the particular technique of no-input mixing board, however amazing what they did do may be (Tudor is one of my favorites, and this Myers guy seems really interesting). As far as I can tell so far, it is still between Toshimaru Nakamura and Marko Ciciliani as to who developed this technique, and I cannot ascertain yet who did it first. Maybe it doesn't matter in a way, but these snippets of trivia are often nice to know.

Greg

--- "pelagius pelagius" <pela_gius@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>From: Gregory Elliott <Spagirus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I also do not know the history of this instrument/concept. Did Nakamura or
>Ciciliani come up with it first or independently? I don't know.  The idea
>is simple enough, you'd think someone would have thought of it a long time
>ago.

I know I mention it every time this topic comes up so I hope I don't sound
like a broken record.  But in my opinion the pioneer of this technique was
David Tudor.