RE: [microsound] music in the digital age

Being directly involved with some of this stuff, I thought I'd chip in a few
pennies. :)

Interesting thread in my opinion...  I find it surprising that no-one has
raised the issue of the disparity between the business' aims and the
client's needs.  Each of these have multiple facets which makes it very
difficult to build up an "ideal" user interface or user experience.  Larger
companies like apple, Microsoft, real etc...  all have a vested interest in
making their products "cool" and pervasive.  It would be difficult to sell
iTunes as sexy if it was just a command line interface "itunes /play *.mp3".
I don't think grandma would very much appreciate that kind of an interface
to her media experience.  Also, exposing this type of an interface is
diversifying the types of problems and experiences the user can/will have
with the product.  Equally, selling a huge piece of software with every bell
and whistle imaginable (musicmatch) is just one of many many ways in which a
company pushes their own agenda to the detriment of the consumer.

Another major issue with the current market is the massive bloat which is
eroding a user's experience with digital content.  One primary example of
this is the recent issues with playback products such as winamp.  It was a
fantastic product for content playback, but to try to acquire a larger
market share, they cut into the very thing which defined them as an
"alternative" player, their small memory/screen footprint and their
effective user experience of "just play it damnit".

Articles/blogs like this iTunes analysis are fantastic in my opinion.  They
help to be a voice against which alternatives are out there and drive a
discussion more towards what COULD be present in the market and what
directions people may take a software interface.

Brad
P.S. yes I know, disorganized and rambling... I'm working on getting my
coffee in my system as I type :)