Re: [microsound] music in the digital age

>> I wrote the following a few days ago - I'd be
>> interested in responses.
>>
> http://www.eleventhvolume.com/reviews/other/music_in_the_digital_age.html
>>
>> All the best, Colin.

huh?  iTunes? what?</mordancy>

I think the central problem with iTunes and almost any other media player
is not that the interface sucks, just that it has an interface in the
first place.  The more specialized the interface, the less accessible it
becomes.

Being a windows user, I often cringe at fancy interfaces and loads of
spectacular fluff.  I find that most of the time when people create
extravagant packaging it's because it's the thing to do, not because they
are inspired.

"Interfaces were big back when cd-roms appeared to be the future of
multimedia"

see?

I think there is something to be said for utility.  It takes up less
attention than fluff allowing more space for the art; sort of the visual
version of a quiet concert hall.

Don't get me wrong, I think multimedia projects are great.  My opinions
about general media players are somewhat different.  My favorite player
goes something like this:

bash#> play thing.mp3

from there, each individual can roll their own look, layout and features.
The beauty of computers is that they are not static tools.  You can
program them how you like.

--
http://noiseusse.org