Re: [microsound] copyright or wrong?

I wasn't actually talking about politics..It was just a mental picture I had of a possible scenario in which the copyright war got out of hand. In short..I was working my imagination a little. I thought it made for an interesting freedom fighter dj type character...and will probably find its way into my visual art.

That said..I have no opinion on politics that won't just anger everybody and have learned to keep these views to myself.

No particular friend of the Bush Administration, and definitely not trying to start a political argument, but a quick search for campaign donations at opensecrets.org shows that the RIAA has contributed just as much to the Democrats as to the Republicans (more in most years). RIAA's assault on Napster and other alternate distribution models started very much during the Clinton Administration. The Copyright Extension Act (aka the Bono Act) was introduced in 1997 and signed into law by Clinton in 1998. The case against it was originally Eldred v. Reno, and only became Eldred v. Ashcroft after the US got a new attorney general (the attorney general is the office named in the suit).

In other words, don't believe for an instant that things in this area will improve when Bush leaves office, or were better before he got here.