Re: [microsound] ideal copyright

Individual artists cannot be members of RIAA.

I know. One of the problems is that artists and the buisness side often have very different goals, etc.

To be "protected" by RIAA (or more accurately Sound Exchange in the case of webcasting royalty disputes) one has to be either a member of Sound Exchange or to have designated them as ones "Authorized Representative".

Artists that had nothing to do with it were being swept in because of the standard fees set by the library of congress that were largely influenced by the RIAA.

Think about it, if a station were to use 100% Sound Exchange free music, regardless of whether they licensed or not, they have an interest in enforcement because it reinforces the monopoly power they are excercising! I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the Library of Congress can excercise a certain amount of power here.

Regardless, a handshake deal for non-licenecing may not always be an option.

Rob

And putting works online without a creative commons license (or other license) may make it public domain. Which means you be the new Oprah theme song if they wanted!