[microsound] duul_drv - fade with consequence - Review

I am sorry for the nature of this post. I wanted to pass this onto many of my friends and thought that this was the best way of doing it.

Duul_Drv - Fade With Consequence    * * * * 1/2

Winnepeg's Duul_Drv (S. Arden Hill) has refreshed the screen of
microtones and brought a garden-fresh variety to the contemporary minimal
electronics composition forum. Fade with Consequence contains the natural
sounds many take for granted, those under our feet and in the air, true
organic happenstance. Dedicating this to the loving memory of a relative,
there is the sense of conjuring an elegy to the elements in their honor.
Also a painter, Hill's editing play is surely in union with any brush he
wields. I liked his work with Aperstaatje and 12K/line - but this has a
quintessential intimacy - as if I am right there in the space, maybe even
making the noise myself. Fade with Consequence is, to say simply,
rapturous. Dedicated to perhaps some of Hill's influences and proto-peers
is the vibrantly invisible "Blue on Day (for Chartier, Günter and
Roden)". As I listen closely I am recalling experiences of listening to
the field recordings of both jfrede and Seth Nehil. But Duul_Drv makes
the spoken tongues of the earth, air and various growths a digital
transfer, leaving only the outer shavings of the original outdoor scene
behind and replicating it in the studio. This is like a tapestry of
static electricity that tries hard to remain inaudible, a bit
challenging, but effective enough to keep the ears pricked for its 40
plus minutes.

http://igloomag.com/

fade with consequence is available through and/OAR - http://www.and-oar.org/

Thanks to TJ Norris for such a kind review.

s. arden hill

co-editor, Juice Journal
http://scholar.uwinnipeg.ca/journals/juice/JUICE.htm

s. arden hill  |  duul_drv
http://members.shaw.ca/duul_drv/ | duul_drv@xxxxxxx
Voted 1 of 15 DODGY group names in the WIRE - APRIL 2003.

MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines