Re: [microsound] Madrid project

>> if enough people are interested in composing a piece dedicated to the
>> victims (and their families) of this terrible terrorist bombing in
>> Madrid I will post a short project proposal this weekend... email the
>> list if you want to contribute... peace
>> KIM

To Kim, and to the list,

I might contribute a sound file to a Madrid project, but the concern that
I have is that focussing on the terror in Madrid could tend to erase other
kinds of terror that have a long history, but which have also been taking
place more and more frequently in various parts of the world. I'm
thinking, for example, of US "terrorism" against Iraq and Afghanistan, for
example. According to the US military's own definition of terrorism, it is
(essentially) the use of violence to achieve political, religious, or
ideological ends, which, to my mind, describes perfectly the US's (and
others') post 9/11 adventures, as well as applying to American foreign
policy in general, especially since the Second World War. Therefore, my
piece, should I choose to accept it, would focus not just on Madrid and
the very real tragedy of the reprehensible violence there, but also on the
equally real, and arguably more reprehensible violence against such places
as Afghanistan and Iraq, as well against the "Third World" in general. Via
the legacy of colonialism (which is now called "globalization"), millions
of people die from starvation and curable disease every year (more people
than died in all of World War II); less than half the planet's population
has access to safe drinking water, let alone electricity; millions of
people live on a dollar a day or less while over 80% of the planet's
wealth is concentrated in the hands of the richest 20%, etc., etc., etc.
If this everyday, matter-of-fact, routine "violence" of the strong against
the weak is less prominent in the "mainstream" media than the events of
3/11 or 9/11 (or other dates maybe yet to come), it's not because it is
less severe - only more accustomed, more banal, more a part of the world's
daily "grind". Often, ostensibly "inexplicable" events such as the recent
Madrid bombings become more understandable - though not, to my mind,
justifiable - when seen in this light. I don't know the motivations of the
Madrid bombers, but acts such as these, while detestable, are often
desperate attempts at political communication: "please stop ignoring us,
please stop hurting us, please stop killing us". If I could actually make
a piece that would speak to recent events, I would want it to contribute
to an understanding of the silences and (dis)quiets that linger behind the
increasing violence we are witnessing all over the world today, in hopes
of making some small contribution to a world that didn't endanger all of
us.

</rant>

~={P}=~

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leader. This is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being
attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
the country to danger. It works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich Marshall at the Nuremburg Trials