RE: [microsound] linux and ardour was:puff 'n stuff

I've used linux on and off since about kernel 0.99.1 p12 and find it a
very robust os for programming and internet etc...i have not had much
luck running a lot of audio software...alot of soundcards are supported
a lot are not (4front tech provides support for many with a commercial
driver package)...things like PD and Csound run very well on
linux....there is no support for ASIO devices that I am aware of, myself
I have a pc with a turtle beach santa cruz card...it is supported mostly
but 5.1 is not and even getting 4 speaker support is
problematic...jack/alsa etc are very good implementations of
driver/plugin architectures but outside of linux/unix centric apps there
is no 'commercial' support....i have found myself using winxp (itself
NOT a very robust platform for audio) because it offers more options
than linux at present (at least for what I'm doing)....

mikenorth