[microsound] Raves.com Review: "Unit 34: Assorted Tracks" Larry Kucharz

Larry Kucharz "Unit 34: Assorted Tracks" (International Audiochrome)
Kucharz is an unsung talent that deserves to be, well, sung. OK, it's not
that he hasn't received lavish praise from various quarters. He has. But has
hasn' t had any real mainstream attention. Of course, that might have
something to do with the fact that his music is something akin to
left-of-center. He composes in more than one genre, but no matter what, he
seems to like minimalism. For example, you have "Unit 34", a selection of
minimalist beat compositions that find their wholeness (they aren't as thin
as you might expect from minimal sound usage) more in texture than
traditional melody. The beats are soft, not hard and thumpy, but they are
there. Computer textures and notes are sliced thin and layered together so
that the whole itself isn't thin. It feels complete. Sci-fi computer notes
provide ambiance capable of bringing you into outer space or into a
computer, I'm not sure which. I've used this analogy before, I think, but it
fits so I'm using it again. There's a cyber techiness to the simple but
effective sound ideas employed here, and that's half the appeal. Kucharz is
certainly a talent worth seeking out. You can find him at intaudiocr@xxxxxxxxx
Four stars  Kristofer Upjohn    http://www.raves.com
Armchair DJ Interview  âCLASSICAL TO TECHNO TO CLASSICALâ  Larry Kucharz
interviewed by Brian J. Dillard    complete interview at:
http://www.armchairdj.com/handler.asp?/features/interviews/larry_kucharz.asp
For Ambientrance Interview with Larry Kucharz goto:
http://www.spiderbytes.com/ambientrance/intkucharz.htm
available from BACKROADS MUSIC          toll free (800) 767-4748
email: backroad@xxxxxxxx             website: backroadsmusic.com
also available: all ambient and techno CDâs of Larry Kucharz