[microsound] re: on working methods for live performance

From: Greg Headley <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To my mind, at the heart of this is the question of whether you (and the audience) want to
hear music or want to "see a performance".

i totally agree here that this is the heart of the question. i think it is engrained in most people's mind that going to a "concert" means not only HEARING something, but also SEEING something (interesting, that is, not a guy sitting behind a laptop)... however, i think this is a tradition waiting to be broken, or at least modified.

as a performing musician myself, i struggle with this question every day. my first electronic live performances were with Prototype 909, and anyone here who happened to see us back in the early 90's knows that it could get quite wild.. 3 guys behind a pile of synthesizers creating everythign in real time.. it was fun... really fun... some shows were good, some were bad... but it was all live..

so, for me, coming from THAT, and going to sitting behind a laptop, well, it's quite boring for *me*... which is why all my own live shows now are improvisations, to put the risk of mistakes back into the mix. i don't like mistakes when i play live, and when they happen i get upset, but i keep that risk in there because for myself, at least, it is more interesting.

i think there will ultimately end up being 2 schools of live "laptop" performances.. those who want to put on a "show" and those who don't... both have their merits and drawbacks, neither is "better" than the other, but i, personally, will continue to personally push the latter.

i am increasingly frustrated with venues that offer seating.. especially theatre style seating.. i think this imposes a far too rigid rule on the listener's part... becuase, these shows are exactly, and ONLY about that... LISTENING. i don't want people to look at me, i'm not exciting to watch.. i would rather see people lying on the floor, closing their eyes, just enjoying themselves as they LISTEN. like the ambient/chillout rooms of the old rave days... birng your blankets.. relax.

i think most musicians who fall into this category really don't want to be watched.. that they feel their music is about listening and do not want visual distractions.. which, brings up another point....

i've seen a handful of laptop shows really be ruined by the fact that the artist seemed to think they needed some sort of visuals.. which are usually a projection of some sort that often seems tacked on as an afterthought in hopes of giving the audience "something to do" while they play their music. i've seen shows that have been wonderful musically, but ruined because of distracting videos.. i think artists have to take care in determining if they are sound artists and/or visual artists... and not try to be both.. and simply, to not be afraid to just play their music, and let people LISTEN.

i've also seen some shows that were greatly enhanced by the visuals.. such as the raster/noton guys.. i think their visuals, because they are so tightly integrated with the audio, really work, and add an exciting dimension to the music.

this discussion can definitely go on for a long time (and should...).. because there are no clear answers yet... but i think audience members who want visual excitement for visual excitement sake.. should watch what they wish for.. .. and to maybe take a step back and appreciate a visually "boring" laptop performance for what it is.... sound. turn off your eyes for a bit, it does a wonderful thing to your ears!

sorry for the ramblings,... more coherency soon.. i hope..

taylor.

--
.. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
12k | LINE | HAPPY

NOW:
CD: January [Spekk, Japan]
CD: Taylor Deupree & Christopher Willits [Audiosphere/Sub Rosa]
BOOK: design works in "CD-Art" book [ Rotovision, UK ]

LIVE:
May 15 | Boston, MA

SOON:
CD: participant on Bip Hop Generation v.7 [Bip-Hop, France]
CD: Taylor Deupree & Christopher Willits Mujo [Plop, Japan]