Re: [microsound] OT - Draft by 2005

On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:41:37 -0400 (GMT-04:00), Matthew Mitchell
<matmi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To me, this thread is about 1000% more annoying than reading post after post about events and CD releases that are actually RELATED to the supposed focus of the list.

Pretty much every list I'm on, whether it's the Deleuze list, the
Habermas list, the Lacan list, and particularly the Lyotard list (and
previously when I was on the Rhizome list) ends up with some posts
that are "officially" off-topic and pertain to current political
issues.  How do you go by one single day of your life, in good
conscience, and not think that you can think about anything
else--music, theory, what have you--and not also think about politics?
 I mean one must have to have a pretty rigid form of mental
compartmentalization to avoid the current big questions of human life
(or a good degree of "guilt-free collaboration" with the powers that
be).  Again, as I've stated on the electoacoustic list, only an
American would take such a hardline approach most of the time with the
"on-topic" demand.  A European would likely tune-out (or tune in).
How can you talk about sonic transformations without considering
political ones as well--even if only from time to time.  When Efzeg
makes a statement about the Austrian government on a CD, do you tune
that out as well and just listen to the "music," unaffected by the
cares of the world and the exigencies of a global crisis of power and
violence?